I’ve been away for quite awhile (almost three months—yikes). The winter here in Boston has been brutal with consistently below freezing temperatures and the near-snowpocalypse, so going outside to shoot photos has been nearly impossible. Today was the first day that I walked outside and didn’t immediately want to sprint back into the comfort of the heated indoors (you know it’s been a cold winter when 34 degrees feels delightfully warm). The thought of walking around without being bundled up in my marshmallow of a coat is pretty exciting. I’m ready to get back into the swing of blogging!
Here’s a short recap of what happened in the last 11 weeks:
1) Winter break in Orlando, Florida with David and his family: The best way I could’ve imagined wrapping up the crazy year that was 2014. We spent over a week in Orlando and managed to explore almost all of what the area had to offer. David and I were so excited to celebrate an amazing 3 years together and we even got to celebrate New Years surrounded by fireworks at Magic Kingdom. Disney was great and nostalgic, but our favorite park was definitely Universal Studios: we rode every roller coaster (none disappointed) and totally geeked out over Harry Potter World!
- Parks visited: Seaworld, EPCOT, Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom, Universal Studios, & Magic Kingdom
2) Girls Write Now: GWN is a super cool organization that offers writing to programs and mentorship opportunities to girls with underprivileged backgrounds in New York City. They’re ranked as one of the best after school programs in the country and each year they publish an anthology of the girls’ hard work—pretty amazing stuff. In January, I had the opportunity to speak about blogging and activism at their Mid-Year Mentee Workshop!
4) Beginning of my 2nd semester at Wellesley: As great as winter break was, I missed my friends more than anything and was so excited to be reunited with them! We were all so excited to catch each other up on what happened during our winter breaks, and we’ve pretty much been inseparable since. I’m so grateful for these girls! Here’s us celebrating the first snow:
3) Wellesley Women in Business: I joined their executive board as Social Media/Outreach Chair! Ever since applying to Wellesley I’ve wanted to get involved with WWIB, so joining the eboard as a first year is so exciting. This semester I’ll be revamping our organization’s blog, updating our website’s design, and reaching out to more Wellesley students and alums in business. It’s only been two weeks, but I’ve already bonded so much with everyone else on eboard and have nothing but good vibes moving forward!
5) Internship: I passed two rounds of interviews and got a summer internship in Boston (more on this in a couple weeks)!
4) #WomenOnTheMap: A crazy cool project I’ve been working on for the past year!
Summary of this project from a blog I co-authored for SPARK: “For the past year, we’ve been quietly working on a project that we’re thrilled to finally announce! SPARK has teamed up with Google to put Women On The Map so that wherever you are in the world, you can be alerted about something amazing that a woman did right where you are standing. In celebration of Women’s History Month, we are thrilled to launch this unique SPARK “herstorytelling” project on Field Trip, a location-based app created by Google that recommends unique and interesting places to visit. We have “mapped” more than 100 amazing and impressive women, and connected their stories with landmarks and locations significant to their lives in dozens of cities and 28 countries around the world.”